Saturday 2 July 2016

Yvi's House of Tea, Inverurie




This is a place I had heard about of a number of occasions.  The most recent being last week when my friend, Stuart, posted a couple of Instagram updates showcasing the fantastic food on offer there.  I was instantly jealous, having not seen visual proof of the tastiness available.  I demanded to know why I had not been invited and was replied to with an invitation to an Yvi's House of Tea brunch the following Saturday.

We arrived at around 11.30am.  The small cafe was not as busy as I had anticipated but took no time at all to fill up with hungry customers seeking their dinner.  There was an extensive drinks menu to look at, mostly tea.  There is every tea imaginable.  I'll admit I thought the teas were really quite expensive...until I saw what was coming.  I stupidly ordered a coffee - I should have known this was a choice I'd come to regret, not because it wasn't nice, but because the teas were clearly much nicer.  The clue is clearly in the name - Yvi's House of Tea, not Yvi's House of Coffee!

Duh, Kirsten!

My companions all had various teas.  They arrived in wee teapots which were set atop a candle trivet thingymabob - you know the sort you often get in Chinese or Indian restaurants to keep food warm?  They were accompanied by small pots of sticky, sugary, syrupy lumps which were all in different flavours, depending on which tea was chosen.  Stuart and Nicola explained to us that they had sussed out that these were available in jars for purchase near the cake counter.  We sipped our drinks from cute china cups with saucers as we waited for our meals.


The only downside that we found from this place were the teeny weeny tables - two people would have satat our table comfortably but four folk was a bit of a squeeze and we found ourselves putting the table decoration and empty teapots and cups onto the floor to make more room for our food arriving - although these were whisked away as soon as our waitress came back to us.


There is a large blackboard painted onto one wall which is updated with the daily specials.  I opted for soup from the specials board and then half a bacon and peach waffle.  There are several different waffles on the menu - both sweet and savoury.  I couldn't decide whether I wanted sweet or savoury to I opted for a combination of both!  Waffles come in half size for those who have a smaller appetite (not usually me) but I thought I might be quite full from the soup, and I might want a cake, so asked for a half portion.

The soup arrived and was delicious, clearly homemade and very filling.  The waffles arrived next...

I was brought a full sized waffle! Hallelujah!
The lady who brought them (I suspect she may have been the owner) apologised as they were placed infront of me as the order has been misheard in the kitchen and a full sized portion was made.  I assured her there was no need to apologise - I was delighted.



Alan was clearly delighted with his chocolatey waffles too! 
This emoji springs to mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment