Sunday 17 July 2016

Cue BBQ, Aberdeen



Today Alan and I went shopping in Aberdeen.  We don't often go, but there were a few good sales on and I wanted bargains!  

As non-breakfasters, we were both hungry by the time we were organised and ready to traipse around the streets, so we decided to nip into Cue BBQ which I had wanted to try for a wee while, after seeing their delicious looking posts on Facebook and Instagram.  (I should really get rid of all social media, it's costing me too much in food bills!)  One particular post stuck in my mind - the offer of smokey brisket stovies - difficult to resist!


We arrived at the restaurant and were able to choose our own seats, since we were the only customers there.  We chose a table for two by the window and were given menus by our friendly waitress.

To drink, Alan opted for a Pop Tart milkshake, and I asked for a banana one.  Unfortunately, there were no Pop Tarts and therefore no Pop Tart milkshakes, so he chose a chocolate fudge brownie one instead.  They were expensive at £5 each, but totally worth it!  We both found them quite filling though, so in hindsight we should have waited to have one towards the end of our meal.


Alan was eyeing up The Cue Overload, which is a tasty sounding challenge for those with massive appetites.  This is something which he would have definitely given a go six months ago, but he's getting on a bit now and his appetite isn't what it used to be.  He even asked our waitress about it, but decided against it when she admitted that it is massive.  One guy did it in 15 minutes according to their Wall of Fame!  We agreed to have a plate of stovies and a Cue Meat Platter to share between us.  Their extensive menu is on their website.  

As we sat in the empty restaurant, we were both impressed by the overall atmosphere of the place.  It didn't feel empty.  I was pleased to see the members of staff chatting and, at times, dancing behind the bar.  The playlist added greatly to the whole American barbecue theme, with Chuck Berry, Bruce Springsteen and Guns 'n' Roses playing - this was right up our street!  The decor added nicely to the experience, with a lot of exposed wood.



We soon started to notice other tables around us filling up.  By the time we left, we did find it quite noisy at times - I think this is just because there was nothing to 'absorb' the noise (no carpets, cushioned chairs, partitions etc) and there seemed to be a rather excited group of friends holding a reunion in one corner.  We didn't mind this at all but others, particularly those like my dad who is hard of hearing in one ear, may find this a difficult space to converse in. 



Our food arrived after about half an hour.  I'll admit the impatient side of me had started to wonder why it wasn't in my rumbling belly already, but then I saw it coming...




I think the photos speak for themselves.




Everything tasted as good as it looked, perhaps even better.  




The only thing I didn't particularly care for was the darker sausage - I'm unsure which kind this was since there were three different kinds on our vast, meaty platter - but then again, I'm not a huge sausage fan. (...I know, I know..)

Even Alan was defeated.  I hate leaving food on a plate, but we had no option as I really couldn't cart around three sausages, some chips, two onion rings and a dollop of homemade coleslaw in my handbag throughout a whole day of shopping, in fear if it all falling out and creating a sausagey scene.  The waiter did ask if we wanted to wrap any of it up to take home, if we had been heading home then I absolutely would have taken it.

Next time I will know not to be so greedy.  This place is excellent, not too expensive and possibly now my favourite place to eat in Aberdeen.  









No comments:

Post a Comment