Thursday 8 September 2016

Chop Steakhouse and Bar, Richmond, Canada


It's the first day of our honeymoon and we're jet lagged.  It's 5pm in Canada but we're still on UK time after crossing the Atlantic on our 10 hour flight and so it's 1am to us.  I'm tired, and hungry.

Luckily I did my research.  Right down the road from our budget accommodation is a small selection of restaurants.  Chop Steakhouse and Bar is the one we chose based on our love of steak and their Tripadvisor reviews.

It was warm and we sat outside in an oversized booth.  It was massive.  I am aware that things tend to be a bit larger over the pond, however, I did feel that I might need a booster seat.  We ordered local beer which was lovely and cold.  Our waitress was very friendly and chatted to us for a while about the local area.  She seemed to take a genuine interest in what we were doing so far away from home.

I ordered the 'Chop Experience Dinner' which is a set menu of starter and main course.  Alan ordered from the regular menu as he fancied a burger which wasn't on the set menu.  We both had soup; a seafood bisque for me and french onion for Alan.  He said it was the best french onion soup he had ever tasted!  The cheek!  I make excellent french onion soup!  I think he liked it so much because it came with a slice of crusty bread on top which was loaded with cheese and then popped under the grill.  I'll have to up my game...

Our mains arrived along with a new set of cutlery.  My fork was dirty.  One of my pet hates is dirty cutlery and crockery, even a watermark on a glass will make me want to polish it with my napkin.  It drives Alan mad as I'll even do it at home.  I'll often swap drinks or cutlery with him when we're eating out.  However, not one to make a fuss, I tried to clean it on my napkin, discreetly of course, as I am accustomed to.  The attentive waitress spotted this and came over with a new set of cutlery.  Service such as this makes a massive difference to the experience of dining out.

I had prime rib which was the best thing I had eaten in weeks.  It was cooked to perfection, pink and juicy, and was flavoursome.  It came with a selection of vegetables and some wasabi mash, which worked beautifully.  Alan hates wasabi so I probably wouldn't make it at home just for me, but it's certainly something I would consider if I was cooking for more than just the two of us.

We were both really pleased with our meals and service and happy withe price we paid.  A great start to our adventures.  We both left the restaurant with full tummies, ready for bed...at 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment